Yes, we're back into the blogging world!! I cannot even tell you how hard it is not to just jump up for joy and giggle...how detached I felt from the outside world! As the other American couple put it here, "We have to remember that we now live in the country," and "This area is 'old school.'" Yes, that is right, we do live in the country (I am reminded and blessed with that every morning when I wake up to a commanding view of the Scottish countryside) and it is "old school" (original architecture, beautiful cathedrals, polite manners, quietness, dressing nicely for meals out, oh...I could go on). I have a billion blogs that I have compiled in my mind, and I figure eventually I will touch on all of them, but I'll just give you a list of things that have happened, we've discovered, what we've learned thus far and what's going on now in our "Scottish lives." Here it goes:
1. We now live in a Kingdom...no seriously, there's a sign into the area that says, "Welcome to the Kingdom of Fife" ... cool, huh!
2. We live on a golf course...not that we golf, but we have a beautiful view of the driving range and thus Scotland's country, complete with a cute little chapel in the distance!
3. I'm learning all about how the military ships household goods...because, you see, out of three shipments that we had coming here, only one can be located...and that's our storage stuff in the states...and...IT'S STILL IN STORAGE!! The other two shipments are "lost in the system" somewhere. Which brings me to the next point...
4. You don't need very many "things" to be happy...God and family!
5. A load of laundry (and I'm not talking "American size loads") takes roughly an hour and a half to wash and then 2 hours to dry (if you're lucky enough to have a dryer...which we are thanks to a Navy couple that was leaving).
6. "The handyman will be there shortly," in Scotland means he'll be there within the next 3-4 hours.
7. Time is only a suggestion here...example, the t.v. dish man said he'd be here at 7ish to hook up the t.v. ... he showed up at 9pm...yes at night. Glad I was still dressed!
8. Appointment times...morning, or afternoon...did I mention time was only a suggestion?!?
9. Other Moms and kids are great to be around...makes me feel like I'm once again connected to the world.
10. Internet is great...and not to be taken for granted.
11. If you start pressing buttons on a European appliance (fridge, oven, microwave, etc.), eventually it will work!
12. Snow is beautiful! (We have had 4 days with snow here.)
13. Stepping out of your comfort zone is worth it.
14. Trusting God ALWAYS works!
15. I miss family, friends and familiarity.
OK, I'll stop now. I'll write another blog later about our little walker. It's so fun to have a walking child!!
5 comments:
YEAH! Welcome back, I can't wait to see pictures and videos of all the NEW things.
Welcome back - we've missed you! A walker? A kingdom? So much excitement!
What an adventure. We will let you guys get it all figured out then come visit. Hee Hee.
Sounds like an amazing start to your time there. I can't wait to hear more about your new adventures. Maybe now is the time to take up golf :)
I love the idea of the Scottish countryside, the architectures, the snow . . . it all sounds so "dreamy". :) What an amazing experience for your family.
Post a Comment