"Show me your ways, Oh Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25:4-5
Friday, February 22, 2008
"Convert" We Will!
It seems that my post on the "British/American" words was a hit! Glad everyone enjoyed it. Of course, since then, there have been many others...in fact, I was over at a friend's the other day and her three year old said, "In our old house we had a huge fire." My response was, "Oh no. That's not good." To which, she looked at me funny. Her mom kindly said, "Oh no, she means a "fire grate" (which is still different, but I caught on...fireplace)." I laughed and said that there have been so many words that are different. OK, I digress...my point in writing this blog was to say that, yes, we are already "turning native." Jackson points to the stove and says "hob" (I think), Cody is calling the guys in his training class "mates" and I find myself saying, "Would you like a "bit" to eat?" or "Time for a sleep, Jackson," or "living on quarters" instead of living on base. I don't give it much longer before we have many more "British/Scottish" words that we are using...and without realizing it! So, as one of my friends commented on our last blog,"...the Scottish words are quite posh. I say convert," so convert we will! (Go, Steph...posh is another one we hear a lot here!!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I can't wait to hear the accent!
Post a Comment