I witnessed the most wonderful thing this afternoon. It is one of the best examples of true brotherly love that I have seen. Read on...
We have had one of our pilots from the squadron has been deployed for the past 6 months. Seeing him off was hard, and I cannot even begin to imagine or sympathize with everything, including sleepless nights wondering if her husband was safe, that his wife went through during those 6 months. He made it home safely today. Now, let me tell you one of the things that was so wonderful. You see, all of our guys are gone from the squadron right now (reference past posts about Cody being in Guam) and are very sad that they could not be here to welcome him home...however, EVERY wife from the squadron (even the ones that were not here when this guy left, and therefore did not know him), guys from the other F-15 squadron and many other friends were there to welcome him home with signs, balloons and open arms! It didn't occur to me how truly amazing this was, until I was driving home and heard a song on the cd I was listening to. The chorus goes like this, (it's talking about what Jesus tells us to do) "How to love your neighbor, and how to love your wife, wrap your arms around your children and pray with them each night. Thank God for all the good things, for the good things are enough, the ties that bind that leave behind a legacy of love." What I witnessed today was the authentic love in action that my Bible Study has been talking about, and a true "legacy of love" that has always been a part of this squadron here in Okinawa...and I witnessed it all in the short span of 1 hour. I cannot even begin to describe the brotherly love and emotion that filled that airline terminal here on base. For 6 months many of us have prayed for his safety and his safe return. Tonight, we can all sleep well and be thankful that he is home.
The other thing that crossed my mind as I was listening to that song was how, in just a few short months, we will be leaving behind so much of our "extended family." We have been through so much with these friends of ours' in the F-15 community here-pregnancies, births and deaths, 30th and 40th birthdays, special anniversaries, weddings, deployments, moves, floods, typhoons, ... "mountains and valleys." When we came over here reluctantly, we had no idea the blessings that God had planned for us, and all of the friends that would be a part of them. We have experienced so much here that has forever changed us and will forever continue to shape us as children of God. Another example of a "legacy of love." I will never forget this assignment for as long as I live.
So, as I finish this day, I pray that I am continually reminded to love my neighbor, that I will always love my husband, that I continue to pray with Jackson every night and that I will always continue to thank God for all of the good things...because, the good things ARE enough!
1 comment:
This really brought tears to my eyes. There is a group that meets at DFW to welcome home troops, I have really thought about taking the boys out there to be a part. I think I will call them today!
Post a Comment