Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Caught in the Act










Yesterday, as I prepared Jackson for lunch and carefully placed his tray on his chair, I looked up and noticed that Puppy was joining us for lunch! This puppy is by far "that toy" that we never want to lose. He goes to bed with Jackson for naptimes and at night and sometimes sneaks out of bed to be played with and loved on during the day. He is Jackson's "security blanket," if you will, and goes with him to friends' houses when he stays and to the church nursery on Sundays. It is the one thing that makes him happy when he is sad somewhere else. I am so thankful for Puppy and hope that someday he earns a better name...we are waiting for Jackson to tell us one day what that name might be. That brings me to the next picture above. As a former speech pathologist, I have had this fear..."What if our children are delayed in communication? Boy, how would THAT look!" (But hey, it happens, I have worked with families where the mother or father was a therapist of some sort or a teacher and did everything right...children are and always will be children developing at their own paces sometimes...but, I digress...). Well, so far, so good with Jackson...whew! He is a babbling fool during the days and has recently started signing "please" and "more" (and this morning, I swear he imitated "eat" combined with "more"). "More" has become the favorite! So, above, during lunch, he was signing more and I had the camera there! Lately, when he is fussing and I look at him with "this look" (because, I have discovered something about myself...I don't like whining and feel sorry for my parents, brother, sister and husband because they have ALL had to deal with my loads of whining...sorry all), he just signs "more" and smiles. So, although he may not have the meaning of it quite down yet, he is comprehending that whining/fussing does not get him anywhere and maybe a sign will. I am so proud of our little man!!

1 comment:

JL said...

That is great! Now feed that poor baby MORE! :)