Tuesday, February 10, 2009

To Help You Paint a Mental Picture

There has been some request to acquire a spycam so that my fellow blog readers can capture how fancy these dinners are that we are going to here. Until a spycam can be located, I'll just briefly list a few points that might paint a picture of the fancy dinners we are going to:

1. We had to buy a tuxedo for Cody, as half of them are "black tie" events and the other half are Mess Dress.

2. I have had to recall what that little tiny spoon sitting above my plate is for...that and the two forks, spoons, knives, not to mention the plate with a third knife...I have to remember which ones to use first ("work from the outside in" I keep reciting!)

3. There are "courses" to the dinners.

4. Usually, there are at least 4 glasses sitting at my place setting.

5. I am offered red or white wine...and sometimes not offered, it is simply poured for me and "topped up" without requesting...mind you, I usually do not drink ALL that is given to me.

6. All but one of the dinners has had an elegant seating chart on an easel for your beau to reference before entering the dining room (so as not to aimlessly wander to your seat).

7. Placecards that say, "Major Blake" and "Mrs. Blake" grace the table settings of the seats we are supposed to sit in.

8. Waiting to sit down until everyone at your table is present is understood.

9. Waiting to begin eating until everyone at your table has their food is polite and when a head table is present, waiting until the "head guest" (I'm sure there's a more formal name...it's just not coming to me right now) begins is kosher (of course, this is typical etiquette...we had just never done it this much in one year!!).

10. Wearing what we would consider as a "formal cocktail dress" is the attire for these dinners. In other words, I have exhausted all possibilities at this point, bought two new formal dresses, and have worn one dress 3 times already...I've even worn an old bridesmaid's dress!!! (Note: if, upon returning to the states, you need a formal dress for something, please let me know...I'll be glad to lend one to you!).

11. These "gatherings" are often graced with many formal toasts, to always include one to the Queen and one to the President of the United States (no doubt because we are present!!).

12. The dining rooms are often dimly lit with lit candles in candleabras on each of the tables. It's beautiful!

13. Undoubtedly, these last well into the early morning hours (note: staying up until 1:30am on a regular basis is not recommended...every now and then is fine (I think))!

14. I have to figure out, each time, what in the world to do with my hair!!

15. I am enjoying every minute of them!!

So, I hope that helps. Oh, and I do have a couple of pictures of the outside of the castle from our last one. So here they are:


(I had taken them that night and didn't think they had turned out well, so I didn't bother taking any more.)

1 comment:

Cindy Cates said...

Oh that sounds so fun. Although I can only imagine figuring out the etiquette of everything.