Friday, February 20, 2009

A Smile

There are times in my life or little things that happen that just make me smile. And, I mean that smile that is happy but happy that it sometimes brings a tear to my eye. I usually have more of these moments when Cody is gone. I like to think that it's God's way of reminding me that everything is great and that he is in control and has graced me with many many blessings...so many that sometimes I simply don't slow down enough to notice.

Like yesterday, Jackson and I met up with a friend of mine and her daughter for ice cream in the late afternoon down in St. Andrews. Afterwards, Jackson and I walked around town for a bit. It was dusk, chilly (but bearable!) and quiet, as it was after 5pm. As I walked, I looked around. Man, I never tire of walking down there!! The beauty of God abounds all around you there...and I smiled.

I came to the computer just now (to avoid cleaning the house, which is what I really need to be doing, but alas, here I am). I got an emailed invitation to my sister's baby shower. Now, this made me a little sad...you know that sad-that-I-live-so-far-away-and-can't-be-there kinda feeling...but then happy, as she has so many great friends and family to support her through this wonderful time in her life. So, then I thought of what a blessing that all of our siblings were given God's wonderful gift of children. God has entrusted each of us (all 8 of us) with children...what a wonderful blessing!! And, so I smiled.

So, then I move on down the email list...and, I think this was another turning point in my life here in Scotland...I came to an email from a friend here. I read it, responded and then it prompted me to add her to my address/contacts list. I smiled again. You know why? Because, it has just occurred to me that my contacts list now has British and Scottish friends in it. And do you know what? That means that God has answered a prayer...I have friends here. No, probably not as close of friends as in Japan, but friends...girlfriends to share things with, talk with and be with when Cody is gone. And that, my friends, God needs to receive all the credit for. He did it so slowly, so calmly, so brilliantly that I didn't even realize it. But, I believed that He would eventually make this feel like home for me...and He has. To God be the Glory...and now, I'm smiling again!

No comments: