Today in church, I had the most amazing experience! You see, in our church here, the children are in the service for the first 20-30 minutes...today it was longer. The "children's sermon" portion is given by either the pastor or associate pastor...today it was the pastor, and being communion Sunday, his sermon to the children was on the symbolization of The Lord's Supper. I always take Jackson down and sit with him, you know, to make sure he behaves and is listening, because you never know what they take in...REPEAT...YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY TAKE IN!! So, as we're down there and the pastor continues to talk to the children, I think, "Wow, this is good, but I'm not sure that Jackson is getting any of this. Oh well...good for me!" Then, the pastor continues, he explains that the children will stay in the service for communion and are encouraged to go up with their parents as their parents take communion. He explains, in detail, that you may only take the elements of The Lord's Supper if you have asked Jesus to be your Lord and Savior. Ok...my thoughts immediately turned to prayer..."Oh Lord, please let this be a great experience for Jackson. Please let him somehow understand that this is not a "snack" that he can share in right now but to somehow understand the significance. Thank you." And, so we go back to our seats. I pray and then go up to take communion...and do you know, Jackson watched it all with intent...and me, well, I was emotional. I had a million thoughts going through my head as I held Jackson and dipped my bread into the wine..."Is he understanding this?" "How neat that Jackson can see me take the elements," and "Dear Lord, I pray that some day my son will become a child of yours'." I left the "table" with tears in my eyes. And, a prayer was answered...Jackson never tried to reach for the loaf of bread or cup of "juice."
Fast forward...5:45pm this evening...we are heading home from St. Andrews and Jackson is talking about wanting to play with playdoh. There is a brief moment of silence followed by, "Mommy eat bread and wine at church." I WAS STUNNED!! I smiled and tears welled up in my eyes...I thanked God for that moment and then proceeded to tell Jackson why Mommy ate the bread and wine......because he is obviously taking it in. No, I'm not sure he understood all that I told him, but it's good for me to know that that moment was there...a moment to share the love of Christ with him and let him know who Jesus is and how very important He is in Mommy and Daddy's lives and how we hope that someday, Jesus will be a part of his life too so that he can someday be in heaven with Jesus!
IT WAS AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE...only God could provide this blessing!! So, thank you God...You are amazing!!
4 comments:
Very touching...thanks for sharing!
Wow! I got chills just reading this. What a blessing!
Don't you just love when little/big things like that happen? I remember explaining it over and over to Caleb until he made his own decision to follow Christ. Now we are in the process with Josiah. I love the questions and the hearts they have for Christ.
that is so neat Kristin!!
Post a Comment