Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Lovely Night



Cody and I enjoyed a lovely evening (err...night) out last night. We joined the RAF at the RAF Summer Ball, which is apparently a huge deal here! Just to give you some idea of how many formal events we will probably be attending here, the other couple here with us have been to six events since coming last October!! Apparently, this is a typical thing here...which we had heard about before coming. Anyway, the only catch with these Balls is that they often do not begin until later! Last night, we started out at 7:30pm with a fabulous fish bar, followed by dinner at 8:45pm, dessert at 10pm, crackers, port, cheese and coffee at 11:45pm...and then the night continued through a barbeque at 1am and breakfast at 4am. Uh...we did not stay for those. However, I actually didn't wilt...that's amazing!! We left the ball at about 1:30am to relieve our wonderful babysitter, who had told us simply to enjoy ourselves until whatever time we wanted. One of the many fascinating things was seeing the "family kilts" worn by the Scottish RAF members and the variations in mess dress, kilts and tartans! I just sat for a moment at one point and thought, "This is cool!!" More of these to come...I'd better purchase a few more formal dresses!!

3 comments:

Steph said...

You guys are gorgeous! :) I love dressing up. Hoping you do, too, apparently!

Jenny said...

WOW - y'all look stunning! What a fun evening!

JL said...

Kristen, what a pretty dress! oh- and the guy on your arm looks nice too! How fun, I love dressing up!!