Friday, April 25, 2008

United Kingdom Uniques

I've been meaning to write this post for a long time and have just now taken pictures to post with it. I thought it was only appropriate to share the things that I feel are "unique" to us in our living here in the U.K. (at least to me, they seem funny, strange or downright just don't make sense).


This is our front door...with the mailbox (postbox) in it! Cool, huh...the mail drops right into the house (not that we get much mail, but none the less...)!


This is the boiler room. This plus the next picture is what they consider "central heating." It is all gas driven. Our hot water is controlled by this boiler too...so gas heating, gas cooking, gas showers...everything hot is run by the gas...hence HUGE gas bills. And if you run out of gas before you call to get it refilled, they take their sweet time getting here...like days (not that we've experienced this yet, but I'm sure we will!)!


There is one of these in each room with a control on the side to turn it on/off, up/down. This is "central heating."


Our electral outlets and plugs look like this!


Here is the drying rack in the laundry room. Yes, it is on a pulley system so that once I put the clothes on it, I can pull it up out of the way! Cool huh?!?


This is our tumble dryer. Yes, it really is that small...that is the counter you see above it! The washer is not much bigger and takes about an hour to clean clothes on the "quick wash" cycle. It roughly takes 2-3 hours to dry clothes in the tumble dryer! I miss American machines!!


This, is the electrical oven. Thank goodness we have another gas run oven...do you see how small this is?? The gas one is not that much bigger. But, at least we have two ovens! They seem to average twice as long to cook anything...and I've managed to burn things as well!!


This is our kitchen sink. Looks normal...right?? Look closer...no garbage disposal. I got so used to a garbage disposal (and now feel very badly for those of you who do not have one). Scraping food into a trash bin after a meal is not my idea of fun!!


And, the refrigerator and freezer. There are three small shelves in the refrigerator and four small drawers in the freezer. I make a lot of grocery runs. Thankfully, we're only 10-15 minutes away from the grocery store.

I had other pictures, but decided to stop there. These probably aren't as interesting to you as they are to me...I just wanted to journal them for future reference...you know, so some day when my American garbage disposal clogs up, I can remember that I once did not have one!!

6 comments:

Vicki Blake said...

So interesting. We actually did not have a garbage disposal in North Carolina. I still catch myself scrapping things into the trash even though we have had a disposal in Ohio and here. You wiil get used to it and the habit will be hard to break.

Jenny said...

That is the teeniest dryer I have ever seen...and I sell tons of them! Weird!!

Stephanie said...

I think it's fascinating, actually! I can empathize re: the garbage disposal - we lived without one for a month in Okinawa (our off base place) and it was miserable! You need to get someone there to send you the bags from 100yen that catch the small bits.

Also, land of leprechauns is nearby, right? Maybe that's where the dryer is made?

kflyingcircus said...

I remember, I remember, I remember. We did not have a dishwasher, I remember the ridiculously long washer & dryer times, we did have oil, but we forgot to fill it once and never did that again! I did not discover until we had been living in the UK for a year that I had been cooking everything in the "top" oven (broiler). How embarrassing! No wonder everything burned!!! Do you have a toilet where the flusher tank is way up above?
Jessica (heather's friend)

Cindy Cates said...

I love the drying rack. Wonder if I could get Steve to build me one :) By the time you get used to everything it will be time to move again! Loved seeing all the interesting house stuff!

JL said...

Love it! I thought of you last night as I did laundry. : ) After seeing the dryer I realize how important a drying rack is!!