Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A New Term...Full of Blessing

I was blessed by God last week as I sat at the "wives coffee" (that is, wives meeting at a coffee shop to chat). I realized something about myself, something I already knew but had to be reminded of, that I enjoy smaller groups of people and am overwhelmed by larger groups, unless I feel like I know most of them. Selfish, really, when you think about it. Anyway, I digress...I was blessed by sitting next to a lovely woman. For a long while we chatted, and it became apparent to me that this woman was a Christian...you know, when you just know and feel comfortable immediately around someone and it seems that they share a very important aspect of life with you? Well, that's how I felt talking and being around her. It seemed as if I could carry on a conversation easily with her. (Aside, I haven't felt like I really "belong" with this group of wives...but last week, with a smaller group, was different.) So, today, she was there again. Today, there were more women, so a tad more overwhelming to me and feeling a bit out of place again, but I am really trying to "fit in." She made an effort to make me "a part" of the conversations. Earlier she had been talking about one of the other "padres" in the other group just having a baby this weekend. I nodded as if I knew exactly what she was talking about (but really, I was wondering what in the world a "padre" was...quite often, it seems, this happens in any conversation I have nowadays!). And then, about 30 minutes later, I met her husband who had "his collar" (that's what one of the other ladies called it) on...it was then that I put it together...a "padre" is a term for "chaplain" (of course, I had to make sure, so I googled it and figured it out). It all made sense. God is so good. It's amazing the comfort that meeting a chaplain and his wife can bring you. It's hard to explain, really, but to me, it was a little blessing from God...one that I needed about now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for his faithfulness. Here I am 9 months into our new "home" in Texas, still lonely, still adjusting, still arranging furniture. It takes time precious one, and I'm in tears still sometimes. Our military life is just this way. I really agonize with your adjustment feelings... praying for you!
The Reillys

JL said...

Amazing how the English language is so different. I never thought the language would be a barrier in Scotland! You are in my prayers every day. I just know the circle of friends He has prepared for you is just around the corner.

Vicki Blake said...

So neat when we really see when God provides.