Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy Hogmanay

Translation: Happy New Year!! This year, it was a little different...the New Year's Morning...only because we can now say we have lived in Scotland for a year. I woke up at 7:33am this morning and smiled...one year and 3 minutes prior, we had landed in Edinburgh to begin 2008 in Scotland! It's kinda cool to think about it now. Then, we were glad to be here, glad the visas worked to get into the country and glad to be in a hotel room to begin adjusting to this time zone after a whirlwind tour through 4 time zones! I was talking to Cody yesterday and said, "I should blog about the highlights of our year."

Then, last night, as we sat in our living room watching the most spectacular fireworks display from our window, and watching the Scotland tv version of a New Year's celebration, where we saw bagpipes (of course) and the singing of Auld Lang Syne (which is cool, since it is written by Robert Burns, and we live in Scotland where he was born), I decided that 2008 was a wonderful year full of so many special and memorable times...times of anxiety as we moved and received our stuff over the span of 4 months, times of excitement as we explored St. Andrews for a new home to live in, times of frustration as we discovered how to receive electricity, gas, water, etc. into our home, times of trials as we ventured into a new culture and country, times of pure joy as we watched our son grow up into a "brilliant" little two year old and discover much more about the world around him, and times of fun as we explored all over Scotland and Ireland with a few trips to America thrown in there. But, as I thought back to our first year in Scotland, I realized that I could clearly see God's hand in all of it...how He provided a guiding hand as we discovered Scotland and made new friends, how He provided a comforting hand during times of difficulty and sorrow and how, several times, He carried me, when I just "couldn't do it" anymore. And, again, I smiled. We are incredibly blessed to be children of God and experience His grace, mercy and complete support forever and always!

May you experience and see God's hand in all of 2009!

No comments: