Wednesday, January 21, 2009

When Did He Get So Big?

I was talking with some moms yesterday at coffee about the schooling system here. It's a little different but overall, the same. One of the perks is that the County Council will fund preschool here...you know kinda like sending your kids to a public preschool (except that, I'm not sure there is one in the US...can't remember). Only, you can enroll them at 3 years old. It's not uncommon here for "stay-at-home Moms" to enroll and pay for their very young children (before 3 years old)in nursery here for the socialization aspect and a bit of respite. Anyway, I digress... Seeing as Jackson will be 3 this year and that I had been told the waiting list at the base preschool/daycare place was long, I stopped by today to see what it was all about. I do have to admit, it's something I've been meaning to do because I've heard rave reviews about the program there. So, I told Jackson we were going to a school to see about putting his name down to start school next year. He seemed ok with it.

I showed up to talk with the director, who was very impressive and knowledgeable and showed me around the school (which reminds me of the CDC programs for those of you that are military), and I put his name on the waiting list...to start whenever a place becomes available. He won't start preschool until next January at the earliest, but I thought, huh, he might enjoy being with other kids now...or whenever a place becomes available, which could be months.

And then, as we were walking out of the school with my parent handbook in hand, Jackson looks up at me and says, "More school." Could I ever have imagined how I would feel then?!? Ok, I know, he's not even starting yet...but, oh, that "pit-in-your-stomach" feeling!! I remember when I worked I used to see parents touring the daycare/preschool programs that I worked in and I would think, "I wonder how they feel getting ready to put their kids in school?" Now I know. It's a feeling that's hard to describe.

And then, as we sat down to lunch, I looked at him and smiled, kissed him and thought, "When did he get so big?"


So, here is to many more milestones as he continues to grow up...and here's to knowing that God has it all under control!!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm finally catching up on blogs today. I'm glad you had a great visit with your family.

The Stevens Family said...

Boy, do I know that feeling! I'm cherishing every day with my kiddos before they actually HAVE to go to school. Maybe I'll just homeschool, so they can stay home longer... :-)