Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Date in History

January 25, 1759...does that date ring a bell?? Yea, it didn't with me either before we got to Scotland. How about the name Robert Burns?? Does that name ring a bell?? I did know who that was...a poet, a famous poet...I'd actually read some of his poetry. Well, January 25, 1759 was his birthdate...and he was born in Scotland. That date is a holiday here and is celebrated ALL OVER SCOTLAND! We were fortunate enough to become part of this historical celebration last night. The celebrations happen at different times and dates, especially this year as it is the 250th year celebration. Anyway, it, by far, was one of the most spectacular and culturally interesting formal events that I have been to here...and I count myself blessed to have been a part of so many here!! Kilts, tartan, pipers, haggis (the national food of Scotland...it does taste good, but I'll spare telling you what it actually is!), neeps (turnips), tatties (potatoes), whiskey (not drunk by me...yuck!), shortbread and poetry...lots of poetry...in the native Scottish brogue! Can I just say, it truly is another language but so fascinating to listen to. The people that were reciting the poetry were amazing...memorizing pages of poetry and presenting it beautifully!! It was all followed by Scottish Dancing, which was cool to watch...but we didn't stay long! As is the style of the British here, it was already 12:30am when dinner was just finishing up and the dancing starting. It was a fabulous, interesting evening that both of us enjoyed thoroughly. And, so, now you know that date in history!

No comments: