This story must be prefaced with a brief explanation. When we moved here a year ago, J and I started going to a playgroup at the base. The first time, I immediately befriended a wonderful lady who has a daughter (Sky) one month younger than Jackson. Turns out, her husband and Cody are in the same squadron and going through the training together. We became friends instantly and quickly followed each other in enrolling our children into all the same programs. So, we did a lot together. Well, funny enough, they moved to Las Vegas in December to complete an assignment there. Fast forward...
Jackson and I are heading to music class this morning for the first time since the winter term. We used to take this music class together with our friends (mentioned above). We are talking about music class, then, there is a quiet moment. Jackson pipes up with excitement, "See Sky at music class!" My heart sank. It's hard for me, as an adult, to move and to watch friends move away. So, I think, how do I explain all of that to a two-year old?? I simply say, "You know how we have a home in Scotland and Sky used to have a home in Scotland?" Silence. "Well, now Sky lives in America. Her home is now in America, so she and her mommy will not be in music class with us anymore." It was just one of those moments when I felt so sad for him. I guess I just never imagined having to explain this to him at such a young age.
Of course, I'm not sure he completely understood it. Guess I'll find out when we head to music next Tuesday!
1 comment:
Yes, seeing your kids say goodbye to their friends is very very hard. And I must say it gets harder as they get older and do start to understand. I am actually dreading our next move because Hudson has already declared he is never leaving California and his friend Molly. I choke up just thinking about it. But with that said it is amazing how flexible they are and willing to make new friends at the next place.
Post a Comment