HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!
The best way I can describe this Thanksgiving is simply this...it was like no other. We are in Scotland, so naturally, no one else is celebrating Thanksgiving. We had a lovely turkey and all the trimmings, most of the ingredients for it we bought down in England when we made our last trip to the American grocery store! Smart thinking on our part, I might add!
I woke up this morning at about 6:30am to a shivering somebody next to me...only to lean over and feel Cody's head and realize he had a screaming high fever. You see, Scotland doesn't give flu shots except to those "at risk"...and we do not qualify. And yes, Cody came down with the flu...although, I am so very thankful that he was able to make it home last night before getting sick and I could care for him here at home. We also received some sad news hours after waking up, that Cody's grandmother had passed away. Although she was ill, one can never truly prepare for these things and the deep emotions involved with the death of a family member. We are very thankful that we know she (and Cody's grandfather) is a Christian, and so she is enjoying a wonderful feast in heaven, as we speak, I'm sure! And for that, we are truly grateful!!
I cooked, along with a very helpful watcher who cleverly brought all his toy pots and pans in the kitchen to help me, everything from the turkey (which is usually Cody's thing...although, I'm proud to say, I now know I can oven cook a turkey...err, even if it does need to go back in to continue cooking!) along with everything else in small UK ovens, no less, and with UK conversions! It was a true success, if I might say so myself...and so for that, I am also very thankful! But, the cooking is not what this post is truly about, but the reflection and thankfulness for our heavenly Father that I realized more this Thanksgiving than any other I can remember.
As I went to bed last night and as I woke up this morning, my thoughts were turned to God as I said, "OK, God, what trial today are you going to help me through?" And it was as I was making the green bean casserole, that I broke down into tears trying to talk to Cody about it. I knew, and know, that we are here to learn to rely on God as we forge through these trials...and I am trying hard to remember that...and God showed today, that He is here, right by my side, for I am getting better at handling them through prayer and dialogue with God. As we sat down to dinner, I was thankful for so many things that my heart was overflowing with them as Cody prayed...and it was amazing...Cody's heart was full of them too. We are grateful and thankful for every challenge and trial we have faced this year, for it has brought us closer to God...so close. In his prayer, Cody also thanked God for the opportunities that we have had here. And, then again, as I sat in the kitchen, while my two boys slept, to eat a piece of apple pie that my sweet husband picked up for me, I teared up again for a few minutes and then smiled, for I know God is with me...for I never could have made it through the last 11 months without him. I am thankful for all of you, my friends, my precious family, but most of all the wonderful God that I serve and rely on day in and day out. I am thankful for EVERY blessing that he has given me...to include every trial.
Now, I will go to bed, and thank God again, for this day, this year and all these blessings...including a wonderfully comfortable bed to lay my head down in and rest my body, so that I am prepared for the next set of trials that may come my way!!
2 comments:
You have truly lived out the verse in James, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." It is so hard to be THANKFUL during times of pain. But there are things to be thankful for, and you are always so amazing to find them and to glorify God in it - both the joy and the pain. I love you, Kristin!
Charlie woke up with the flu on Thanksgiving too!! How funny..well for us, not them!
Post a Comment