Thursday, September 25, 2008

Comforting Thoughts

I was just having lots of thoughts as I was sweeping the floor...like, "isn't this the floor I swept just two days ago??" and "am I really doing this again??" and "maybe the term "Groundhog Day"...you know from that movie...fits my life perfectly. or is that too negative?" and "oh gee, now I gotta mop" and "i like change" and "no, I am very routine oriented, but am I too routine oriented?" and "no, I like change," and "no, I really don't like change," and "oh my, after this, I gotta switch the laundry loads and wash the towels and vacuum and figure out what we will eat for dinner and ...blah blah blah!" and "Am I the only one who thinks these things, that I'm doing the same thing over and over and over again?? That my life must look boring, repetitive and mundane from an outsider's viewpoint?" And then, I was reminded of a book that I just got through reading entitled, "God's Whisper In a Mother's Chaos." Yes, my days are repetitive and yes, they quite often involve more routine than I sometimes desire (although, I always claim not to like much change...I really must make up my mind), and yes, my day often consists of three things, entertaining a 2 year old, cleaning and cooking/preparing meals with about 6 hours of sleep thrown in at night, and yes, it may seem mundane to an outsider...but, NO, I am not the only mother that has these thoughts and God has given me the priviledge to stay at home. A PRIVILEDGE...read it again...A PRIVILEDGE. I used to never think about me being a stay-at-home-mom as a priviledge, but it is. I continue to feel that my calling in life was to be a mother, and so I am glad that God continually provides for that to happen, but I was reminded after reading this book that it truly is a priviledge that I have been blessed with. As I swept, I remembered this and the book mentioned above and how the book hit me right where I am now. Sometimes, it's nice to know that there are others out there feeling the same thing I am. I know it's not good to compare myself to other people, but sometimes, I think it's nice to know that there are other women out there feeling the same thing. It's God's way of comforting me, I think. Anyway, all that said, as I thought about this book as I was sweelping, my attitude changed and I smiled. I am glad to be home and am thankful to have the time to sweep, even if it is three times a week (which, mind you, I don't do every week!!) Thank you, God, for unexpected little blessings in my day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this reminder, Kristen. i need to hear this EVERY day :-) Hope you guys are enjoying every part of Scotland...even those inconveniences! We so miss living in the UK...
Jessica (Heather's friend)

JL said...

Don't worry I go through that, too! God then usually shows me in HIS way my true gift and I think of my life differently.

Stephanie said...

I think we all have days like that, especially when the laundry is almost caught up and the tile is clean only to have your boys come inside with wet clothes from playing in the rain or tracking mud in the house all the while covered from head to toe from playing in the mud. But I choose to be thankful that I'm the one that gets to see the happy faces playing in the rain or mud. It is definitely a joy. Enjoy the moments even the routine ones.