Monday, September 22, 2008

Circle of Friends

My entire life I have longed for close girlfriends, friends that I can share anything with. It was on Saturday evening that I realized that I have been given this circle of friends. No, they do not live in Scotland...in fact, they do not all live in the same place...but we all once did! Now, five of us are scattered among four different places, to include Virginia, Texas, Mississippi and Scotland. And once, not so long ago, we all lived in Japan. These four friends of mine (Desiree, Kristen, Stephanie and Heather) all got together this past weekend to share in some wonderful times with a newborn baby boy that has been much anticipated and prayed for by all of us. I was excited, emotional and truly blessed by God as I shared in an hour long conversation with all of them. After getting off the phone (and now as I write this blog), I had to fight back tears. Although some were tears of sadness because we are not all closer, more were tears of happiness, as I was able to talk to them which sent my spirits soaring, and even more were tears of thankfulness, as God has graciously given me what I have always prayed for...for as long as I can remember.

These were the four girls who were there before and after Jackson was born...to pack my hospital bag at home and bring it to me as I was in early labor, to listen to me mumble after being so drugged up, to push me around in a wheelchair when I couldn't move on my own, to wash the baby clothes that I thought needed to be washed (only to finally realize I had lost it, as Jackson was so small he didn't fit into those close for like 2 months!!), to bring muffins for breakfast, a Chili's salad for lunch, magazines to read, to clean our house, arrange for dinners to be at our house for the better part of two months, to host a precious baby shower (that was scheduled twice, I might add, due to our early arrival!!), to hold Jackson, to watch Jackson, to change Jackson, to share in his first smile, word, crawl, stand, to celebrate when Jackson turned one year old...but most of all, to PRAY!! Pray, pray, pray! I know that these girls were praying for me, for Cody and for Jackson...and continue to. You know, Cody said to me that night before I talked to them, "I'm sorry that you're not there." "Yea," I said, and I grinned, "That's the hard part here...not having close friends, but I'm thankful for the time when I did have them right close."

Saturday evening as I got ready for bed, I smiled again, ... how greatful I am and truly blessed by God to have been given wonderful Christian friends. And, living in the same place with these girls for nearly three years was such a bonus!! Now, through phone calls, e-mails, blogs, pictures of the kids growing up, skype, whatever it takes...I think God will continue to bless our friendships through these!! He's a fabulous God...that answers prayers.

Thanks, Desiree, Heather, Kristen and Stephanie for all you've done for me! You're an answer to prayer!

5 comments:

Heather and Scott said...

Girl...you're making me cry at my computer right now! Of course, the song helped too =) We truly did miss you this weekend!! I love you, sweet friend.

Stephanie said...

Um, yeah, sitting here crying :) We missed you and it was SO good to hear your voice. Heather and I talked about the whole "we never talk but we never miss a beat" thing and I think we are all blessed!

Vicki Blake said...

I think that is what I hate most about the air force. Well, maybe it is a tie for all the deployments. Anyway, leaving friends behind is really really hard. I know your pain. But it sounds like you have such great friends all over the world and that is really cool.

Anonymous said...

That song on your blog has been a favorite of mine for a few years. I first heard it at our Women By Grace study at Koza and it sure fits the life of a military wife!

kristen said...

sibpxizgOkay was crying too the same day that Heather and Steph wrote this....as I hit leave comment. Bryce woke up and the rest is history. My dear friend we missed you and it was so wonderful to get to talk with you. I look forward to seeing you again and we will. Until then God has us all over the world but has ways of making us feel very close. Love you