Friday, August 8, 2008

The Olympics' Opening Ceremonies

I am sitting here watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games (Jackson is sleeping extra long today... =)! ). I have a ton of different feelings as I watch them!! It's amazing! Funny thing, I've been in and out of the kitchen where I have it on, but have managed to see most of the opening show, and the countries of Great Britain, Japan, Chinese Tapei (I think that's what they called it) and the USA come in. All places that tug at my heart a little. It is held in Bejing...so watching the opening show, many memories of our trip in October of 2005 with our great friends come to mind. I smiled and laughed as I saw and listened to the quick clip of the Peking Opera (too bad our opera wasn't as short as that clip, huh, Jeff and Stephanie?!?), and just to know that I stood on the grounds of some of the events is simply cool!! When I saw Great Britain walk in, I felt some inside cheering occurring...I mean, after all, I do live here for the time being, so I'm sure I'll be hearing of how the British athletes are doing in the games (especially with British tele readily available!). As I watched Japan come in, I smiled again, what a great experience we had there. And, to see the Japanese athletes, I was reminded of our brush with their culture...an amazing culture to live in. What genuine, nice and friendly people they are! And Chinese Tapei, well, it simply reminded me of our brief stop in Tapei on our way back from New Zealand in 2006...I must say, not the best of memories (we spent the night there to await our next flight in the morning...I had a migraine and was in my first trimester of pregnancy), but I digress. Then, came the United States of America!!! I have spent all of a month and a half in the states over the last 3 1/2 years...not long at all. But, tears welled up in my eyes! 596 (I think that's what they said) Americans competing in the games!! How proud I am of ALL of them. I watched them walked in and wondered what each of them were thinking. Some were wiping tears from their eyes and some you could just see that twinkle in their eye. But they all smiled...just as I was doing as I watched them! I am so very proud of the country that I call home! I am so very proud of my husband who defends this country. And, I cannot wait to have Jackson experience more of America...at some point in his life! So, although I didn't expect it, watching the Opening Ceremonies for the 2008 Olympic Games in Bejing, China provided a step back in time for me and a recall of many memories! What fabulous experiences we have had in the past few years!!

1 comment:

Vicki Blake said...

Thats really cool. But I am jealous that you get to see the olympics before we do. It doesn't start here for several more hours.