The following information is necessary to know prior to reading this post:
One of my greatest fears of driving is getting a flat tire. I don't know why, I guess I just don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. O.K., so maybe I do know why: I don't like that you have to trust a mini-jack to hold up an entire car while you change a flat; I don't like being stuck on a road changing a flat; I don't like trying to get the lug nuts off, especially after the car has been for a tune-up or tire rotation; I don't like the idea of traveling on a "donut" (I mean, donuts are something you eat, not something you trust to get you from point A to point B); I just don't like it.
O.K., now...for the post:
There are benefits to buying a used car...cheaper, already "broken in", someone knows about the car...and, then, there are the downsides...already "broken in", you are trusting someone to GIVE YOU ALL THE PARTS to change a flat tire. That's right...as I was driving to base today, I started hearing a strange sound, knowing that the oil needs to be changed more frequently, I noted..."check oil when I get home," and then, the all embarrasing thing, some kind citizen flashed their lights and told me to pull over. My sign...SOMETHING IS VISIBLY WRONG!! Yup, flat tire. No big deal, right?? I was right outside of base at this point (probably have shredded the tire and ruined the rim...that's to be decided later)...so, I am truly grateful to God at this point, that my husband is not flying and I know he is on base. So, I call him (I'm also thankful for cell/mobile phones!). He gladly meets me to change the tire. Again, no big deal, right?? What should have been a quick job, just was not. Once removing all the lug nuts, there was the locking nut...or something like that. Here's where the fun starts...we were never given the part in the "used car exchange" with the couple we bought it from to get this nut off to change the tire (of course, we didn't know that until now)!! Another blessing in all of this, the guard shack here is super great. They quickly dispatched someone from the base to come help us. They don't have the part so they go with Cody back to our house in their car to look around the house for it (as we had some other odds and ends from this "car/household goods exchange"). No luck. So, being the super nice people they are, they knew they had a tire guy coming out to base this afternoon. As we stand now, the flat tired car is parked on some side street awaiting a look from the tire guy to see if he has the locking nut key thingy (I'm sure there's a technical term for it, I just don't know it). In the mean time, I've located the closest Volvo dealer to try and go buy the part, because, in my semi-negative state right now, I believe we may have to go find the part...JUST TO CHANGE A FLAT TIRE!! I guess the other good thing from all of this, is that I was forced into driving the Explorer home after dropping Cody back off at work. You see, it is our American car that was shipped over and specs changed (see previous post from January), so the steering wheel is on the opposite side as the Volvo (and all of the cars we drove in Japan). I must say, it didn't really feel all that different. I kinda liked being back in my Explorer...especially with four non-flat wheels!!
As Jackson and I arrived safely home, and before lunch, we prayed for God to help the nice men find the correct tool to fix the tire. I know God will answer the prayer...He already has answered many this morning...we are all protected, safe and blessed, we have food, we have a beautiful day, and we have been given this trial.
1 Thessalonians 5:18: "...give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
And one I tell Jackson in the mornings: Psalm 118:24: "This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Praise God for trials, no matter how big or small, in my days, for this is when I am reminded to rely on Him always.
3 comments:
I wouldn't even have the slightest clue how to change a tire...even after Dad taught me several times. Good thing Cody could be your roadside assistance!
I do not like when my plans get turned upside down. But it sounds like all came together in the end. I guess these detours keeps us on our toes.
I am glad Cody was not in England! Flat tires are a big stress of mine as well. Why are things never jsut an easy fix?
Post a Comment