Wednesday, August 26, 2009

From the Mouth of a 2-Year-Old

Three moments of the day!!

**We were at the grocery store this morning and Jackson was sitting in the front seat of the cart (which, we can barely do this anymore, as he's getting to big!), when he looks up at me and says this:

J: I want to take my shoe off (as he reaches towards his foot).
Me: (sortof ignoring the situation, as I look on the shelf for what I want) Why do you need your shoe off. We're in the store. Keep it on please.
J: (emphatically) I need my shoe off!
Me: Jackson, why do you need your shoe off? (now looking straight at him)
J: Well, my foot is fizzy!
Me: (smiling and giggling) Your foot is fizzy? Does it feel funny?
J: Yes
Me: That means your foot is asleep. Would you like to get down and stomp it on the ground like this? (imagine me stomping my foot on the ground:)
J: Yes

Problem solved. No more "fizzy feet!"

**At lunch, Jackson looks at me and says in the sweetest voice:
"Mom that's a pretty dress."

I start laughing and say:
"That's nice of you to say, but I'm not wearing a dress."

(As a matter of fact, I was wearing jeans and a sweater!)


**Okay...here's another one that happened 30 seconds ago. I'm sitting here typing this post...the study is across the hall from J's room. I hear noise like he's jumping in his crib. I sortof ignore it but know it's going on. He knows he's not supposed to be jumping, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it now. Then I hear a bump and an immediate cry. I giggle because I know exactly what has happened. I go in there to find him standing up holding onto the back of the crib:

Me: What happened?
J: I just bumped my head.
Me: Well how'd you do that?
J: I was jumping on the bed.
Me: (laughing now, as I can see it's not anything to be concerned about, and HE IS SO BRUTALLY HONEST!!) Well, are you supposed to be jumping on your bed??!!
J: No. (smiles)
Me: (seriously) Do not jump on your bed.
I sit him back in his crib (he didn't want to lay down) to read to his stuffed animals. No more jumping and no more noise. I'm about 98% sure he's asleep now. The post-nap crying and breakdowns were a sure sign that he needed a nap desperately!! And now, I need a nap...but alas, I will go do something else that might seem a little more productive!

3 comments:

Darling's said...

I am impressed you figured out that his foot was asleep, that one would have stumped me for good!
Love the simple world they live in, wish I could go back there for a day or too!

The Walkers said...

I don't know if you are like me but I never realize the fits that come from being tired are from that until after they conk out. Never in the moment...

Leslie said...

Wow! I was reading over your blog this morning, and what great adventures you've been enjoying overseas! I see that little boys are the same in any country, though. Jumping on the bed is always fun, and unfortunately for them, always a No No.