Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter in England

So, it's been a while since I last updated this site...sorry...but we've been busy! We left last Thursday, April 9 for Harrogate, England...you know, where our American post box is. Stayed three nights down there...on Friday morning, we went to the base and did all of our shopping, mail checking...you know, the boring stuff...and then, we took a short trip down to Bolton Abbey Station where we saw none other than Thomas the Tank Engine and all his friends!! Can I tell you that this was Kid Land at these two steam train stations. We took a steam train pulled by one of Thomas' friends (don't remember his name) to Embsy Train Station, where we met Thomas, the Fat Controller and saw many other of Thomas' friends roll by including Percy, Flora, Annie and Clarabel!! Jackson was a bit overwhelmed, to say the least, but I think he had fun!





Then on Saturday, we headed to York, England. This town is a short 45 minute train ride from Harrogate. It was one of the first places recommended to us to visit when we came here. We visited the Railway Museum, which was awesome...




a place called The Shambles in York...a tiny street of old homes and buildings...


and York Minster...beautiful!! (Now we need to go see Westminster and compare the two!!)



On Sunday, we began the morning by talking about what Easter was about (when we asked Jackson what Easter was about, he responded, "Jesus!"), followed by an Easter egg hunt in the hotel room, breakfast with our friends (the other American military couple here), and then left Harrogate and went through Newcastle, England with a stop to visit Hadrian's Wall.





We arrived back home in the evening, unpacked the groceries, ate and climbed into bed. Cody had Monday off as well, so after some relaxation in the morning, we decided to go to Perth, Scotland (about a 45 minute drive from our house) to see Scone Palace, the place where the Scottish Kings used to be crowned. Again, no pictures inside, but we have some of the outside. The gardens were gorgeous and it was a beautiful afternoon to walk around outside.




It was, once again, a jam-packed, fun-filled weekend. Happy Easter to everyone. CHRIST HAS RISEN!!

4 comments:

Vicki Blake said...

I am so glad you have fun. I hope you got our Happy Birthday email. You didn't mention what you did on your birthday?

Anonymous said...

I bet J was LOVING those trains - how fun! Glad to see you guys are making the most of your time there. So much to do and see!!!

Goldstein Family said...

Yowza, Gatlin would have been in heaven at the Thomas the Train place. Wow, what a cool experience. I think it's in England, somewhere, where they give train rides on Thomas the Train. I wonder, do they still do that? What fun! Glad you had a great Easter!

Stephanie said...

My boys loved the pictures of the trains.