Every night, Jackson says a few memory verses before going to bed. It's been part of our bedtime routine since he was 4 months old (of course, then, we said them not him). We've worked our way up to six verses that he has memorized: Numbers 6:24-26, John 3:16, Psalm 46:10, 2 Samuel 3:18, and Romans 1:16. We added Mark 12:30 a few days ago and he's got that one down now...he's getting quicker. I told him the other day that when he got Mark 12:30 memorized, we could then pick a new one. For some reason, that compelled him to have it memorized in three days. So, tonight, after all 6 verses were said before bed, this was the conversation that happened:
J: Mom, can we pick a new verse now?
Me: Yes. Tomorrow we'll pick a new verse.
J: No, right now.
Me: Well, I need to find a good one. So I need some time to look through my Bible.
J: How 'bout one about Bob?
Me: Bob???
J: Yea, Bob and dump trucks.
Me: (smiling and trying not to just burst out into bellowing laughter!) Well, I'm not sure that there are verses about dump trucks in the Bible.
J: What about cars??
Me: Ummmm...I could maybe find you a verse about chariots?
J: Okay, yea, a verse about chariots!!
I smiled.
I'm so thrilled that he is so anxious to learn verses from the Bible. On many occasions, in telling him the way to get to heaven, and explaining that Daddy and I will go to heaven because we have accepted Jesus into our hearts, he has responded with, "I want to do that." We always ask him, then, what he must do. That is typically where we realize that he doesn't quite understand yet...but, I really feel that God tugs at his heart often! It's so cool to see his little mind work at this...and obviously to see God's hand at work in him!
And, tonight, God knew that I needed to see that again. It had been a rough "single parenting" evening.
"Thank you, God, for the smiles! YOU knew I needed them! And, God, on another note, can you please lead me to a great verse about chariots?!?!?"
No comments:
Post a Comment