...Halloween in Japan! Last night was a hoot! We never have very many trick-or-treaters to our house, as we live on the outskirts of the base and in a housing area that not a lot of people trick-or-treat in. But, last night, the few we had were GREAT!! Because we do live right inside one of the gates, those Japanese that can get on base to trick-or-treat, come in through the gate and often park right across the street from our house. So, naturally, they start at our house. We probably had about 20 kids come...half of them Japanese. It is just so fun to see how another culture "embraces" an "American holiday" (if you can call Halloween that). I told Cody that when we went back to America, I was going to dress up like the Japanese do...here's what I saw:
THE FIRST GROUP:
--two kids with a black garbage bag over them tied with pumpkin ribbon and,
--three kids with black pants and black t-shirts with those illuminating bracelets adhered in a circle to a headband (as if they were Mickey Mouse) and,
--their sweet mother dressed as a girl from "Little House on the Prairie" bowing continuously and saying "thank you"...
THE FUNNIEST THING...
--they didn't say anything at first but simply opened up their dark pillow cases or bags for me to put the candy in, and then, as I'm sure it was rehearsed,
--they stumbled through and English phrase "thank you"...PRICELESS!!
BUT STILL...MORE:
After a few military groups, there was another big Japanese group...YEA...MORE EXCITEMENT!
They come in big groups, it seems, as if to support each other...this time, there were about 5 or 6 kids, about the age of 6-8 years old. Again, opening up their bags, but this time saying, "Hello!" and a few "T-ick or T-eat". But the funniest thing I heard, was one boy:
--"Hello how are you i'm fine thank you,"
uttered in one big long sentence. I had to look at my feet and bite my tongue to remain compassionate and keep from laughing...OBVIOUSLY rehearsed, but so sweet. He did a great job speaking English...just maybe wasn't taught to leave a pause for someone to respond, or to even ask him the questions. TOO PRICELESS!
These little things about Japan, I will miss. I'm sure I will reflect on this experience and many others that are similar as I go to another country and discover that I have become the outsider trying to fit in!!
5 comments:
How fun. What a neat experience you, Cody and Jackson have had in Japan.
I think your run-on sentence guy is my favorite! I'm a sucker for the good Japanese trick-o-treat-o. Can't wait to hear about how it goes in Scotland next year :)
How neat! I had no idea Halloween was "celebrated" anywhere else.
Oh, Kristen! I laughed out loud about the little boy with the run-on sentence. I can totally see that!
Oh! And about the costumes. I noticed it, too. I saw a little girl in what looked like an Easter dress, as if she was "dressed up" for Halloween. Too funny!
Post a Comment