Monday, November 19, 2007

The Craziest Thing Yet...

So, I won't bore you with ALL of the crazy, insane and absolutely senseless things we've been told about our move within the last week...except for one. I believe that this one takes the cake!! In an effort to start notifying companies of our change of address as soon as we get our new address, I decided I would pick up the change of address cards from the post office today (which is on base...that's important to this story) while I was there picking up the mail. You know, so as not to waste time making an extra trip. So, when I couldn't find them out (you know, because in post offices in the states you can grab them by the dozen when you walk in to mail something), I went to the window and asked for them. This was the conversation:

Me: I need to pick up some change of address cards.
Clerk: Are you just moving here?
Me: No, we are leaving here.
Clerk: I will need the sponsor to come in with orders and then outprocess (in other words, close our box number) in order to get those cards.
Me: Just to pick up a change of address card to mail to companies?
Clerk: Yes, it keeps your mail from stacking up back here once you leave.
(My thoughts: Well, duh, that's why I'm trying to get them now!)
Me (what I actually said): That is crazy.
Clerk: Well, that's just what we need to do.
Me: Okay. I guess I'll have to have him come in and do it then.
Clerk (with the first smile I had seen...mind you, I was smiling the whole time to keep from climbing over the counter, wringing his neck and telling him how truly absurd this was...oh and, I was holding my son, so I have to set a good example): Thank you.

As I walked away, I said out loud to Jackson, "I guess your Daddy will have to find the time to come do this too. I can't believe how insane this is." That comment...well, probably not very polite. I don't think the clerk heard me, but everyone else that was in the parking lot did! I laughed the whole way home...because, what else is there to do?!? Today, I will proceed to find out what other offices have crazy rules that they must abide by...making it nearly impossible to leave!!

3 comments:

Vicki Blake said...

That is too funny. It is interesting how many crazy rules there are out there. And who makes them up?

JL said...

Even crazier is why do they all abide by them! Surely someone would come along and say this is a ridiculous rule, take the cards.

Stephanie said...

It's time for the power of attorney! They should at least let you get the cards with it, even if they won' let you clear out the box. Or maybe I could just send you some?!