Monday, July 6, 2009

A Week in Review

Well, it truly is not a week in review but more like 72 hours in review that felt like a week. Where to start...

This past Thursday, Friday and Saturday were filled with a wide range of emotions.

On Thursday, Cody turned 33 years old. I am so blessed that God placed him on this earth and that I get to spend my life with him! We, however, celebrated his birthday on Independence Day, because his work day was not a good one and was filled with much sadness. On Thursday, there was a jet from our squadron here at Leuchars that crashed, instantly killing the pilot and navigator. As you military wives know, this colors your day as you realize what your husband is going through and then, you yourself are going through...grateful that it wasn't your husband and feeling somewhat guilty because of your thankfulness, because it was someone else's husband. And, if they were friends of yours', you are grieving just the same. The two men who died were friends of ours' and probably some of Cody's closest friends in the squadron as well. This is the first time we have been at the base, and in the squadron with a tragedy like this happened. It was heart-wrenching and we are still emotionally torn up, as a squadron and as individuals. It is during times like these that I am thankful someone holds my heart, feels my emotions, weeps with me and completely knows what I'm thinking and how to comfort me...I find that comfort, peace and gracefulness in our Lord Jesus Christ and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He is with me during these difficult times. I feel that at this time, only prayer and support from each other and God will get Cody and I through this difficult time. I cannot tell you how many times I cried out to our Savior on Thursday and the weekend that followed...just a simple "Oh Savior/Jesus/God/Father, help us," and felt the comfort of His hands and arms wrap around me. Where would I be without Him!

We had planned to host a huge barbeque with the other American couple on Saturday for the 4th of July, but were unsure whether it should go as planned. After the guys talked to their squadron commanders, it was decided that the best thing to do would be to have the party as planned, and get everyone together to have fun, talk, eat, and grieve. So, Saturday, that is just what we did. People came in from everywhere around Scotland and some arrivals from Exchange programs (RAF to US exchange) came as well...we had between 70 and 80 people here! And, we did talk, eat, have fun, and grieve together. It was a good time, and we were told that we lived up to the expectation of a good "American barbeque with lots of food!" Most of all, we were glad everyone could just be together to support each other from both squadrons. This is a picture of the two token American couples at the base...well, and our boys!

Here are some pictures from our truly unique 4th of July party...out of 80 people, there were 7 Americans, 1 Canadian, and all the rest Brits!!





Smashed in between there was Friday...oh, Friday...do you remember that post titled, "Are You Sitting Down?" You know, the one where I told you we were moving just down the road 8 hours to Lakenheath???? Well, apparently, the people telling Cody where we were going misread the last 6 letters of the location we were going! The "L" and the "a" were correct...well, and that's about it!!! Oh, and the fact that Cody is still flying the F15C. So, can any of you guess where we are going now?? I'll give you some clues...1. It's not green there...2. It's not overseas...3. It's most definitely not a door-to-door move...and here's the clue that gives it away (if you haven't figured it out already!)...4. It has casinos. Uh...yep! You got it...

We got a call on Thursday night...one that I answered (as Cody was still at work that night due to the crash). On the other line was Cody's US boss telling me that there were a "few tweeks in his assignment." Do you know what we military pilot's wives think when we hear that? Well, the boss must have known because that comment was followed by, "We're going to keep Cody flying," phew...at least he's still flying. So Cody called his boss Friday, and yes...we are moving to Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, Nevada where Cody will be flying the F15C. Um, I'm still adjusting to the sudden change of assignment, and now, I'm not going to believe it until we are actually there. Cody will go through a requalification course (TX course, for those military people) at Klamath Falls, Oregon sometime in October, is what we've been told, and then onto Nellis after that. We continue to trust God because we know He has a plan for us. So, we've shifted our house search online from England to Nevada and have daily realized the things that will be wonderful about the assignment. When I told my mom, she responded, "You'll be much closer to Jenny (my sister)." My response,"Mom, we'll be closer to everybody!" So, we'll be closer to family and friends. I'll get use my Dyson again, along with a US washer and dryer...hey, we may even have a garbage disposal in the kitchen sink!! No adaptors or transformers; no looking to see if something is dual voltage; I can go into a store to buy whatever it is I need; no more 5 hour trips to check our mail; no more metric conversions (although, I have to admit, I've gotten pretty good at them!); and, we're apparently moving to a place that is most certainly a buyer's market for home ownership right now! Again, we know God has a wonderful plan for our life and we are truly thankful that He knows what is in store for us...whatever and wherever that is!

7 comments:

Heather and Scott said...

Oh, wow....what a weekend. First of all, I am so saddened to hear about the crash. All the emotions that you are all going through right now must be overwhelming. I'm glad the 4th of July party went well, very ironic to be celebrating Independence day with the British! And, lastly, you are going to NV! WOW! Talk about a roller coaster weekend. We are THRILLED you'll be that much closer...and you'll be there with SOOOO many other Bat Babes it's amazing! Did you know that Kari just moved there? How fabulous. But wherever you go, the Lord will be with you. He will lead you, guide you, and protect you. And He loves you with an everlasting love. Thinking about you guys...

The Walkers said...

Ohhhhh Kristin! What a few days you have had. We will be praying for you and the loss of your friends. Cannot even imagine how that tears your hearts up. I have to say it...ewwwwie....to Las Vegas but I only know it from reputation. You are sure to make a wonderful home, life and friends there. And it is great that you will be stateside. We will be returning to TX July 31st so anytime you are in TX, we would LOVE to meet up, have you over or whatever works best.

geoffa said...

You know that even from Down Under God hears our prayers for you both.
We know he will continue to bless those who honour Him.
Your Vegemite friend
Geoff

Goldstein Family said...

Kristin,
I am so sorry for your loss. Kyle and I are all to familiar with losing a close friend to a military airplane crash and it most certainly will change your perspective forever. I am so thankful that Cody is fine and that, ultimately, your 4th weekend went well. We will be praying for you and your family during this tragic time and also as you prepare to move back to the states. I know you will have many friends and wonderful experiences there. Do you know Joe Chennault? He and his wife are there too as is Steph, which you already know. At least now, maybe we can come visit someday! God bless!

JL said...

Oh, Kristin I am full of emotions reading you post. Frst of all please know that we are praying for all around you that there will be pease and understanding in such a horrible tragedy. Secondly, and more selfishly I am thrilled to hear that you are moving to the US! I am sorry that you have to move across that "pond" but to get to see you without a passport makes me smile. We have missed yu guys so much! Give Jackson a hug from Texas, and you and Cody too!

Vicki Blake said...

I am so sorry about the crash. It seems like they are happening more often. There were 2 at Edwards in the span of 2 months. Makes me more nervous when Ryan flies. But then I have to remember that God is in control.

I think Vegas will be a great place for you guys. My grandparents lived there when I was growing up and I have very fond memories of Lake Mead. My grandparents had a boat. I can picture you all having great family time skiing and boating. More to Vegas then the strip, though that is fun too.

Steph said...

Kristin!! First of all, let me say that I am sorry I'm just now catching up on your blog. I barely have time to keep my own blog up-to-date, much less keep up with others'. Time management is not my friend as of late.

I heard about the jet crash and am always saddened by the news anyway, nevermind for the same reasons you mentioned: a) It could have been my husband and b) it WAS someone else's husband (or father or son.) It hits far too close to home even for me; I can't imagine what you, close friends of theirs, are going through. My thoughts are with you all.

Finally, I about fell to the floor when I read your comment. You're coming to Vegas???? I'm so excited. Send me an email and we can chat back and forth. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Yay!